I hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving and time with family. Before we know it, we’ll be on to those tasty leftovers! I’m sure I’m not the only one who tries to be creative with all that turkey we couldn’t finish, so here are some ideas to consider.
Ideas for Leftover Turkey
- Make “Turkey Noodle Soup” instead of “Chicken Noodle Soup” (pictured below) and freeze the leftovers. Here is a recipe to get you started (just sub turkey for the chicken).
- Make “Turkey Terrific Sandwiches” inspired by a sandwich shop on Nantucket Island called Provisions. All it takes is some good whole-wheat bread, a little mayo, stuffing, turkey, and the optional cranberry sauce to make one good sandwich. Another great sandwich option would be turkey, brie, and a quick apple chutney…yum!
- Make homemade turkey stock with the bones…just like you do with leftover chicken bones/parts. This would be the perfect starting point for your “Turkey Noodle Soup” as mentioned above or for other dishes that call for chicken broth/stock. See “The Best Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot” recipe for details.
- Freeze batches of the cooked turkey meat for sandwiches or recipes on another day using either zip lock bags or other freezer-safe containers.
- Sub turkey for cooked chicken/meat (or just add it to the veggies in vegetarian dishes) in some of your favorite recipes, including these…
“Chicken” Recipes You Can Use with Leftover Turkey Instead
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Turkey Gumbo (just sub turkey for the seafood and sausage)
- Tortilla Soup
- As a topping on Whole-Wheat Pizza
- Turkey Chili (see the White Chicken Chili recipe in my blue book on page 188)
- Stuffed Shells or Lasagna
Check out the comments below for more ideas, and if you have any additional suggestions for turkey leftovers, please share!