Move over regular popcorn, caramel popcorn, and even cracker jacks because I’ve got a recipe that’s going to steal the show. This glazed popcorn & cashew mix might just be one of the best snacks I’ve ever had…and I don’t say those things lightly. It all started when I was working on those fun little “non-cookie” holiday gift ideas last week. I thought glazed pecans or nuts would be a very tasty gift, but then I took the idea a step further and added popcorn to the mix. Bag up some of this stuff, tie on a bow, and you now have the perfect gift for neighbors, teachers, and even the mailman. Don’t forget to attach a recipe card so the recipient not only enjoys every last bite, but also knows it doesn’t contain a bunch of junk and additives (like those highly processed tubs of caramel popcorn). Just be sure you make some extra so you can enjoy it yourself…yum!
Cinnamon Glazed Popcorn Mix
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a small pot over low heat melt the butter and honey together. Mix in the cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- Put the cashews in an extra large mixing bowl. Coat them with about a tablespoon of the butter/honey mixture.
- Spread the coated nuts onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and bake for 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the same large bowl evenly coat the plain popcorn - minus any unpopped kernels - with the remaining butter/honey mixture.
- After the cashews have been in the oven for 6 minutes, take out the tray, add the popcorn to it, and mix it all up together. Stick the tray back in the oven and set the timer for 4 minutes.
- After 4 minutes open the oven and stir or shake the mixture around on the baking sheet. Set the timer for 2 more minutes.
- Once again open the oven and stir/shake the mixture so there are no hot spots that could get burnt. Set the timer for 1 more minute at which point the mixture will once again need to be checked/stirred.
- Repeat the process of checking/stirring the popcorn mixture every minute then take it out of the oven once it turns a dark brown (it can burn easily toward the end!). My total bake time was 6 minutes for the nuts then an additional 7 or 8 minutes once I added the popcorn.
- The popcorn and nuts will be slightly wet right out of the oven, but will harden as they cool.