I told my husband I wanted to make queso dip, and he said, “how are you going to make a cheese dip ‘healthy?'” Well, here’s the answer! Along with all the flavorful spices you simply add peppers, tomatoes and spinach to the mix AND offer veggies on the side for dipping in addition to the chips. So just in time for Super Bowl – give it a go and let me know what you think! :) Oh, and if you are going to serve this on Sunday I would highly recommend trying to keep it warm in something like this.
Creamy Queso Dip (with Veggies!)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup onion diced
- 1 poblano pepper seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño seeded and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper (cayenne pepper)
- 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cheese freshly grated (like Monterey Jack, Grand Cru, or another mild white cheese)
- 1 tomato finely diced
- 1 cup spinach fresh, cut into ribbons
- Melt the butter in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and both diced peppers and cook while stirring occasionally until the veggies soften, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and other spices to the pan and cook for 1 more minute.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir vigorously until the mixture begins to darken but does not burn, about 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, continue whisking to break up any lumps, allow it to thicken just slightly, and then turn off the heat. Sprinkle in the cheese, stir with a spoon until it melts completely, and then gently mix in the diced tomato and chopped spinach. Serve warm with veggies and/or chips. Enjoy!