My older daughter absolutely LOVES donuts so one day, on a whim, I saw this “Mini Donut Maker” at Target and decided to try it out. It’s a plug-in machine (similar to a waffle maker) and comes with a booklet of recipes that I tweaked to use whole-wheat flour and no refined sugars.
This discovery is nothing new (I’ve shared this maker within a post or two on the blog before), but we’ve been getting so many questions about it lately it so I’ve decided to give it a post all of its own today! So without further ado, here are two whole-grain donut recipes that work great in this little donut maker, and if you’ve discovered any other variations of your own please share them with us in the comments below!
And FYI – These obviously don’t have the same consistency as deep-fried donuts, but regardless both of my daughter’s LOVE these things as a special treat! In fact I think we’ll have to make a batch today.
Whole-Grain Donuts (for the Mini Donut-Maker)
Adapted from Bella Cucina Donut Maker Recipe Booklet
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Make a well (hole) in the middle and drop in the egg, milk, syrup, vanilla, and coconut oil.
- Stir together with a fork until well combined.
- Follow manufacturer directions to make donuts using the batter.
- Serve donuts or freeze for another day! We love to add these as an occasional treat to school lunches.