There was a time when I thought baked beans only came out of a can. And, since we did away with most pre-made, canned foods back when we started our real food pledge, that means I didn’t have baked beans for a LONG time! As it turns out…I really like and missed baked beans. So needless to say, I am glad to have them back in my life and am also glad to be able to introduce them to my kids (they both gave this recipe two thumbs up – whew!). These beans would be the perfect addition to any summer BBQ, cookout, or picnic, AND they are just as delicious leftover, so if you are entertaining make your day even easier by cooking these a day in advance. We are officially ready for summer – bring it on!
Slow Cooker Baked Beans
If served alongside other side dishes, this recipe will feed a small crowd.
- 2 1/2 cups dried navy beans - (optional, but recommended: soak beans in water in the fridge for 6 to 8 hours and then drain)
- 8 oz bacon - cooked and diced (organic and/or local recommended)
- 1 green bell pepper - diced
- 1 onion - quartered
- 1 - 15-oz can tomato sauce - plain
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper - black or red, to taste
Place the beans, bacon, bell pepper, and onion in the bottom of a slow cooker. Set aside.
In a small bowl whisk together the tomato sauce, syrup, mustard, vinegar, chili powder, salt and pepper. Pour over top of bean mixture and then add 3 1/2 cups of water. Turn the slow cooker onto high and cook for 10 to 12 hours. Discard onion pieces and serve warm.
*To make this recipe Vegetarian, omit the bacon.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.