The flavors of Caesar salad are so good combined with smoked fish! Whether you use smoked salmon or trout for this recipe, it will not disappoint. It can be served by itself or paired with a main dish—I recommend homemade quiche!
And thanks to one of my new favorite shortcuts, anchovy paste, the dressing is both authentic and super easy to make. This Smoked Salmon Caesar salad is the perfect light summer dinner (or lunch).
What does a Classic Caesar Salad Contain?
A traditional Caesar salad is simply romaine lettuce tossed with Caesar dressing and topped with either freshly grated parmesan and/or croutons. I’ve kicked things up a notch by adding smoked salmon. If you want to add homemade croutons as well, they are easy to prepare!
How to Make Homemade Caesar Dressing
The best thing about this homemade dressing is that it’s so easy to make thanks to a tube of anchovy paste. You get authentic flavor the easy way! Simply combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. I used a handheld blender.
What fish is Caesar dressing made out of?
If you’ve ever had Caesar dressing, you know that it has a distinct taste. It’s due to the combination of savory flavors such as garlic cloves and dijon mustard, but mostly the anchovies that are used to make this creamy dressing.
Can I store the dressing in the fridge?
Yes, you can enjoy this dressing for up to a week when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Caesar Dressing Ingredients
- Olive oil – I recommend finding an organic extra-virgin olive oil
- Mayonnaise – Try to find “cleaner” brands such as Chosen Foods or Primal Kitchen
- Dijon mustard – Helps balance out the flavor
- Fresh Lemon juice – Fresh squeezed
- Anchovy paste – 1/2 a tsp of all-natural
- Garlic – One clove peeled and minced
- Black pepper – 1/8 teaspoon
How to Assemble the Smoked Salmon Caesar Salad
Toss your lettuce in a large serving bowl with the Caesar dressing until well coated. Then, top with smoked salmon, freshly grated parmesan, and green onions.
Ingredients for Smoked Salmon Caesar Salad
- Romaine lettuce – One large head of romaine lettuce chopped up
- Smoked salmon – You can sub smoked trout, too
- Parmesan cheese – Freshly grated
- Green onions – White and green parts, but this is optional
Other Salad Recipes You Might Enjoy
- Mexican Citrus Salad
- Cauliflower & Pomegranate Salad with a Yogurt Dressing
- Blackened Fish Salad with a Creamy Avocado Dressing
- Cobb Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing