I’ve got a new crowd-pleasing recipe for you, Soy Maple Glazed Chicken & Sweet Potatoes! I made a version of this for my parents, and my dad was like, “You have to send me this recipe.” I’m not sure I can recall the last time he asked me for a recipe (he usually relies on a rotation of their tried and true favorites) … so I thought that was a pretty darn good sign!
Starting the chicken off in the slow cooker means it ends up so tender it’s practically falling off the bone. The sweet potatoes can easily be mashed with a fork when it’s all said and done, and the sauce does a great job complimenting everything in the dish and providing a nice glaze on the chicken.
Don’t be scared by the two tablespoons of sriracha it calls for … it becomes pretty mild after cooking for so many hours, and you’ll hardly even notice it’s there! Just give it a try the way it is and see what you think.
Other Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes You Might Enjoy
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- Slow Cooker Green Salsa Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken “Tagine”
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
Soy Maple Glazed Chicken and Sweet Potatoes (Slow Cooker)
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken drumsticks
- 1 1/2 pounds bone-in, skin-on, chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes cut into 1" thick wedges
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sriracha (it's not that spicy after being in the slow cooker for so long!)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- Use kitchen shears to cut off and remove the big pieces of skin from the chicken (it helps reduce the amount of fat rendered into the sauce). No need to do a perfect job here.
- Place chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker. Layer sweet potato wedges on top.
- Whisk together the chicken broth, syrup, soy sauce, sriracha, and salt. Pour over top of the sweet potatoes and chicken. Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours, or high for 3 to 4 hours, until the chicken is tender and almost falling off the bone.
- Preheat the oven broiler to high. Remove and run the cooking liquid (from the bottom of the slow cooker) through a fine-mesh strainer, you should have about 2 cups. Skim the fat off the top and discard, if desired.
- Heat the butter or olive oil in a small pot or saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook while stirring to help break up any clumps until it browns, but does not burn, 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk in the cooking liquid and lightly boil over medium-low heat, while stirring occasionally, until it reduces by half into a glaze, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with foil and use a slotted spoon or spatula to carefully transfer the chicken and sweet potatoes in one layer (without letting the pieces break apart).
- Pour/brush the thickened cooking liquid on top of the chicken and potatoes and place under the broiler until bubbly and dark brown, 6 to 8 minutes, and serve immediately.
- Dairy-free if olive oil is used instead of butter.
- Inspired by Slow Cooker Recipes Magazine
- We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.