So, I was working on a recipe for chicken wings when not long after I started, my husband basically took over. Just for the record my husband CAN cook, and I love it when he does – it just doesn’t happen all that often anymore! So I did not argue and said, “Yes, I’d love for you to take a shot at developing this wing recipe” (i.e. make dinner tonight – wink wink).
And I must say they turned out to be the best oven baked chicken wings I’ve had and definitely rival the smoked chicken wings we recently fell in love with at one of our favorite Charlotte restaurants, Rooster’s.
Baking this knock-off version at home by emulating the flavor of their wood burning fire with smoked salt makes our house smell almost as good as their amazing restaurant, and it only takes 45 minutes to bake (instead of hours to smoke…not to mention you don’t have to tend a fire!). So, just in time for the Super Bowl – enjoy!
Here’s a video on how to make our best oven baked chicken wings:
The Best Oven Baked Chicken Wings!
- 3 pounds chicken wings about 3 dozen wings total
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or honey
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked salt (this recipe would not be the same without the SMOKED version versus regular salt…I found it at our grocery store and it’s worth the extra effort if you don’t already own some)
- 1 teaspoon thyme dried
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano dried
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper (ground cayenne)
- ranch dressing homemade (see link in notes)
- Place the cooling rack on top of a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and set aside. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Pour the maple syrup into a large mixing bowl. Add the wings and mix with your hands to evenly coat the wings. (Note: If your wings are fairly wet, pat dry with a paper towel first, otherwise don’t waste your time.) Arrange the coated chicken wings on top of the rack, thick-skinned side down.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl and with a dry hand, evenly spread about half of the spice mixture on top of the wings. With your other “wet” hand, press the spice rub into the wings and then flip them over (we want the thick-skinned side up during baking for extra crispiness). Evenly spread the remaining spice mixture on top with your dry hand.
- Bake for 45 minutes on the middle oven rack. Serve warm and enjoy!