First of all, my teenage daughters were very upset that I asked them to help with this project, and that we had to make them quite a few times (5 to be exact) until we got it right. They were just devastated to be making and sampling that much chocolage mug cake—ha! 100% kidding here, the sweet tooth runs strong in our family. My 10th grader’s recipe was the final winner that we’re sharing today, by the way.
Now, all that cake-making and sampling was certainly more than we normally have when it comes to sweets (we usually aim for one big treat a week, give or take!) since both the refined sugar and chocolate chips in this recipe clearly means it’s not real food. But, when it is time to indulge in something special … homemade (from scratch) definitely is the way to go!
So, we’re excited to share this super easy and fun recipe just in time to share with your Valentine this weekend … or whenever your heart desires! :)
Other Valentine’s Day Sweets You Might Enjoy
- 4-Ingredient Molten Lava Cakes
- 6-Ingredient Flourless Chocolate Cake
- How to Make Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Dark Chocolate Whole-Wheat Brownies (and other Valentine’s Day Ideas!)
Homemade Chocolate Mug Cake
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a microwave-safe coffee cup. Stir in the melted butter, milk (or water), and chocolate chips until smooth.
- Microwave on high for about 90 seconds, until firm. Garnish with fresh berries and/or whipped cream.