I could spend all day long trying to come up with creative toppings, but sometimes it’s hard to beat a classic combo like sausage, bell pepper and mushroom pizza. And this is a great recipe to have leftover so be sure to double it if you’re cooking for a bigger group. I recommend either reheating the pizza in a toaster oven or in a small skillet with a little melted butter. Just cover the pan with a lid near the end so it heats all the way through.
This post is part of our fall baking series and we hope you enjoy it!
Just to switch things up we tried these pizza toppings on grain-free almond flour/cauliflower pizza dough mix from Simple Mills. We are by no means a grain-free family, but there’s nothing wrong with getting some extra veggies in our system from the crust. And it tastes great, too. Plus, I love how super easy and simple this crust is to make. It only took a couple minutes to mix it up, and since it’s grain-free, no rise time is necessary! I even made it for a quick and easy lunch.
Sausage, Bell Pepper and Mushroom Pizza
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 shallots peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper cored, seeded and diced
- 4 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 2 links Italian sausage mild
- 1 recipe whole-grain pizza dough I used 2 boxes of Simple Mills Pizza Dough
- 1 can pizza sauce
- 1 8 ounce package mozzarella cheese shredded or sliced
- parmesan cheese freshly grated, for serving
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots, green peppers and mushrooms and cook until the veggies begin to soften, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Take the casing off the sausage and discard. Add the sausage to the pan and break it up with the spatula. Cook until done all the way through (no longer pink), about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Roll out your pizza dough of choice (try my homemade recipe or follow the Simple Mills box instructions - I used 2 boxes) and top with a thin layer of pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella, and then the sausage mixture. Bake according to pizza dough directions, top with freshly grated parmesan cheese, slice and serve.