I think I found my new favorite pasta dish. I recently served this to my parents and husband, and they all seemed a little caught by surprise at how flavorful and tasty it is!
I’m so used to only thinking of sausage and pasta with a red sauce, but this dish has forever changed my mind. Inspired by a local vendor at one of our farmers’ markets in the area, I’m so glad I gave this combination a try! Let me know what you think in the comments.
More Favorite Pasta Recipes
One of the best things about pasta dishes is that they usually take no time at all. Perfect for busy weeknights, here are some of my other favorite pasta recipes.
Pasta alla Norcina (sausage + cream sauce)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (can sub water)
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 ounce pack dried chantrelle mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion cut into a small dice
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage (mild or spicy, depending on what you like!) or sausage links with casings removed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fettucini (or other shape), cooked according to package directions
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh Italian parsley chopped, for garnish
- Combine the wine, water, and dried mushrooms in a small pot. Simmer over low heat until the mushrooms have softened, about 10 minutes. To remove any sediment, strain the liquid through a fine sieve or coffee filter (and reserve the liquid) and rinse off the mushrooms in fresh water. Set aside for the sauce.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add the onion and stir occasionally until translucent and soft but not brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add in the sausage and cook while breaking it up with a spoon, until brown and no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and discard the fat.
- Add in the mushrooms, mushroom liquid, heavy cream, and parmesan, stir to combine. Stir in the cooked noodles and bring to a simmer for a few minutes to help thicken the sauce. Season with salt and pepper, garnish with fresh parsley (and additional parmesan, if desired), and serve immediately.
- We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
- Can be gluten-free if using GF pasta.