Simple one-dish dinners are calling my name right now! I don’t often have the time or energy for something elaborate during our busiest time of day. I also love it when dinner can include a little meat, without it being the focus (in line with our “flexitarian” ways!). For this recipe, I used a “ham nugget,” instead of your typical deli meat ham, to get those nice cubes. I’ve seen them at both Whole Foods and Earth Fare near the other packaged deli meat, and I like how you can slice them however thick (or thin) you want.
And if you aren’t going to use the whole ham nugget at once, you can easily freeze the rest for a rainy day. Or, if you plan on making this meal again, consider dicing and freezing it in 8-ounce portions. You’ll definitely thank yourself later for that one!
Pasta with Peas and Ham Ingredients
- Whole-wheat noodles – I recommend egg pasta for this recipe.
- Olive oil – Extra virgin.
- Onion – Chopped.
- Ham – Use a ham nugget to get those nice cubes.
- Garlic – Minced.
- White wine – Dry
- Chicken broth – If you can, try making your own with this recipe for the slow cooker.
- Frozen peas – Inexpensive and convenient, I love having a bunch of frozen produce on hand for simple recipes like this one.
- Parmesan cheese – Freshly grated Parmesan cheese is the best choice.
- Heavy cream –
How to Make my Simple Pasta with Peas and Ham
- Cook pasta: Before anything, cook the pasta according to package directions and reserve 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water for the sauce.
- Heat a large skillet: Cook the onion until it begins to soften and then stir in the ham and garlic for about 1 minute.
- Pour in the liquids: Add the white wine until boiled down almost all the way. Then add the broth and reserved pasta water and bring to a boil. Simmer the sauce for about 6-8 minutes until it thickens.
- Stir in the other ingredients: Add the frozen peas, grated cheese, heavy cream and season with salt and pepper. Cook while stirring until everything is heated through. Garnish with extra Parmesan and serve!
Other Pasta Dishes You May Enjoy:
- Kale and Tomato Alfredo Pasta
- Tomato Basil Weeknight Pasta
- Creamy Shrimp Pasta with Lemon
- Roasted Cauliflower Pasta Recipe
Posts may contain affiliate links. If you purchase a product through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same but 100 Days of Real Food will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us spread our message!