If you dislike the sound of someone slurping through their straw to try to get every last little drop out of their cup then you probably shouldn’t make these smoothies. My kids absolutely LOVE them! And it all started when on a recent trip to buy groceries from Earth Fare we decided to also have lunch in their little cafe. While paying for our sushi I noticed that they had a surprisingly good smoothie menu, so on a whim I decided to order their PB&J smoothie for my girls (and me) to share. Well, that was a mistake…I should have gotten a large size for each of us! During the first 5 minutes of the lunch (which was as long as the smoothie lasted) all I could hear – aside from the slurping – was “I want more of it” ”it’s my turn for some” “she is drinking it all”. Need I say more?
I of course don’t have Earth Fare’s exact recipe so this is just my version that emulates theirs as best as I can. My daughters responded very similarly to this version so I would say it went over well. This is the best invention for kids since the original PB&J!!
- ⅓ cup milk
- ⅓ cup apple juice
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- 1 - 2 bananas (I like using 2…but if you only have 1 on hand don’t let it stop you!)
- 1 cup frozen (or fresh) berries
- Optional, but recommended: A big handful of fresh spinach leaves
- Optional: A handful of ice cubes if you use fresh berries
- Mix well in a blender and serve cold with a straw.