I call these “Easy Breakfast Burritos,” but I’m here to tell you my family has been eating them for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack! Even my 7th grader who claims she “doesn’t really like eggs” has been gobbling these up like it’s her job.
And I have to admit it does feel good to have a double batch of these on hand in our freezer for when that ravenous tween/teen hunger strikes! I did cut some in half before freezing just so they’ll last a little longer. Hard to think of a better weekday breakfast than one of these along with a fresh piece of fruit – yummy! :)
Here’s a little video to show you how EASY it is!
Freezer Friendly Breakfast Burritos
- 2 tablespoons ghee aka clarified butter
- 1 baking potato cut into 1/4″ dice (russet – medium to large size)
- 1/2 onion cut into small dice
- 1 large green bell pepper cut into small dice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- pepper to taste
- butter for cooking
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 10 eggs beaten
- 1 cup grated cheese either cheddar, Monterey Jack, Swiss or a mix
- 6 whole wheat tortillas large
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the clarified butter. Add the diced potatoes and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the diced onion and bell pepper along with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper (to taste). Cook for 3 to 4 more minutes until the veggies are soft. Set aside.
- In the same skillet (wiped clean) or a separate skillet, melt a couple of teaspoons of the butter (or you can use olive oil) over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until no longer pink while breaking up with a spoon, about 5 to 6 minutes. Set aside.
- In the same skillet (wiped clean) or a separate skillet, melt a couple more teaspoons of butter over medium-low heat. Pour in the eggs and let rest until they start to set. Carefully scramble until cooked all the way through (no longer runny), then stir in the grated cheese and salt & pepper, to taste.
- Lay out each tortilla on its own piece of foil. Evenly distribute the sausage, potato mixture and eggs on top. Roll them up (or cut in half first for smaller portions) and secure with foil. Add to a freezer-safe bag and freeze for a rainy day. To reheat: defrost in fridge overnight and heat in oven till warm or remove foil and heat in the microwave.
- We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
- Gluten-free if served with gluten-free tortillas.